18 May 2011

Must Read: Never compromise your safety for anything

Just as usual, I wasn't able to sleep through the night. I was really tired from yesterday so it's kinda unusual for me not to fall asleep at four in the morning. I don't know if it's the insomnia or if it's the first-hand experience I had from a phone snatcher.

I went to Taft yesterday to claim my ID and just like always, I went home with my papa. We turned on the air conditioner somewhere in Roxas Boulevard and turned it off in Sta. Mesa (the car was overheating) and we had to drive with the windows down. And just like always as well, my papa and I were telling animated stories up until we reached the Araneta Avenue-Quezon Boulevard intersection. Suddenly, my papa leapt from the driver's seat to the passenger's side right in front of me and before my mind could process what was going on, he was cursing some old man. My body was acting before my mind was thinking, gripping my phone so tightly as the mobile snatcher was trying to remove my hands from my iPhone! Luckily, my grip was so tight that he finally let go and run away. More fortunately though, the snatcher didn't have any kind of weapon with him. Just imagine if he stabbed me with a knife! The most irritating thing was when the man was a couple of meters away, he looked back and smirked. I just wanted to punch him in the face if I weren't so stunned.

Anyway, I was completely shocked and speechless after the incident and even as we drove off, I could barely speak. It wasn't that grave of an experience but it was definitely a traumatic one for me. When the image of that man struggling with me to have my mobile crosses my mind, I have goosebumps all over. I have vowed to myself to never ever bring out my phone while I'm out on the streets. I wasn't even walking and commuting. I'm also planning to purchase a stun gun for myself to carry around everywhere.

So to everyone reading this, please take extra care of yourself when you're out and using your gadgets (mobiles, iPods, etc) especially when commuting. In this day and age, we can never really trust anyone. What is sacrificing a few hours without music or text messages when it can spare you your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment