11 February 2011

Overindulge

My mother and I used to share toiletries - mostly just lotions and moisturizers. It was never really a problem because we were given stocks of Jergens for free every Christmas (which lasts for about a year partly because I'm only allowed to get pea-sized amounts) since one of my uncles owns the company. When I go with her to the grocery store, I urge her to buy me my own stuff but she usually doesn't do so because it's a "waste of money". My mother's always like this when it comes to buying stuff for me and that's why I end up choosing the products I don't particularly like to use (mostly local brands, no pun intended) like Clean and Clear and Eskinol. 

I hated this fact because I love pampering myself, and that includes putting generous amounts of moisturizers on my face and body. When I transferred to Quezon City, I had the chance to buy my own stuff and I went crazy putting all sorts of stuff into the grocery cart. In this entry, I'd like to share with you a few of my favorites:

1. Nivea Visage Sparkling White collection:
I have naturally fair skin, but I love basking under the sun. I used to always go to The Palms Country Club in Alabang to swim and I jump on every chance I get to go to the beach. I didn't use to become dark easily until I started commuting almost everyday and that's the reason why I bought this collection.

(a) Nivea Visage Sparkling White Whitening Toner (Clarifying) - After I wash my face with facial wash (I'm now using Pond's Pure White Deep Cleansing Facial Foam with Activated Carbon), I always apply toner. This particular toner promises to whiten and clarify skin while supporting the skin lightening process without drying your skin. Like I mentioned before, I used to apply Eskinol as my toner and it felt really tough and harsh on my skin. The Nivea toner is far from my old toner - I don't feel any sting even if I accidentally put too much on the cotton ball. 

Photo courtesy of Google Images

(b) Nivea Visage Sparkling White Day Care - After I tone my face, I put on moisturizer. For the day, I use this one under makeup. What I love about this product is that it's light, has a non-grease formula and it's very easy to apply. Unfortunately, it doesn't contain SPF.

Photo courtesy of Google Images



(c) Nivea Visage Sparkling White Night Care - After I've removed my makeup, washed and toned my face, I apply this product just before I go to bed. The difference of this product compared to the day care product is that it's thicker and greasier. I love this moisturizer because it leaves my skin soft and smooth when I wake up in the morning.

Photo courtesy of Google Images


Unfortunately, I couldn't find a body lotion that's included in the collection. I don't know if there's an existing product available on the market now. So I just bought...

2. Nivea Extra Whitening Inner Cell Repair Body Milk (for frequent sun exposure)
I have a think for moisturizers and bath gels containing milk so I was attracted to this bottle when I read it. It has berry and licorice extracts that are supposed to repair and strengthen sun damaged skin cells. It also contains advanced Nivea body UVA / UVB protection filters that prevents skin darkening. 

What I like about this product is that it's not so light and not so thick -- I'd rather use it during the night but using it during the day is also okay because it's fast absorbing. I got the 400mL bottle with a pump so it's also easy to apply without the hindrance of a bottle cap.

Photo courtesy of Google Images
3. Bath & Body Works Signature Collection Body Lotion (Deep Aqua)
I love Bath & Body Works' products mainly because of their scents (I usually just go for their perfumes). Anyway, this lotion was a gift from my aunt and uncle who went to the USA last year and it's my first time to try a lotion from Bath & Body Works. It's also a fast-absorbing product so I apply it during the day. It contains Shea Butter, which I see is in most moisturizing products nowadays. What I love about this product the most is it's Deep Aqua scent which is reminiscent of a sun block lotion and the beach (don't worry, it's not Coppertone scent!). 

Photo courtesy of Google Images


4. The Body Shop's Olive Body Butter
There came a time when The Body Shop released their collection of body butters and it sort of became a trend. Now, a lot of other brands have their own body butters but I haven't had the guts to try them out because I loved The Body Shop's body butter so much, I just don't want to end up disappointed. Anyway, this product contains Community Trade olive oil to moisturize. The Body Shop released a lot of scents but this is the one I like the most because it's not too strong and it's not sweet. I often dislike lotions that smell like fruits or flowers. Since it's body butter, I wouldn't recommend to use it during the day. It's a little bit greasy and feels sticky after you have perspired. Also, it sorts of puts a little warmth on your skin so you tend to feel extra hot under the sun. If you're going to night events though, I would recommend that you use this product because it gives your skin a glow (sort of a shimmer, just like when you put oil on your skin) -- just make sure you stay in air-conditioned rooms so you don't sweat!



No comments:

Post a Comment